Posted on May 17th, 2018
The 2018 Mako Mania is set to take place from Friday, June 1 through Sunday, June 3 at Bahia Marina on 22nd street in Ocean City. The Mako Mania is a mako shark tournament with added entry levels for bluefish and thresher shark and is traditionally the start of the tournament season in Ocean City. Mako mania was started in 1996 by Captain Steve Harman and continues to grow every year.
This year’s Mako Mania has been dealt tough hand with management measures implemented by NOAA Fisheries that have set the minimum size limit for all shortfin mako sharks at 83″ for 2018. This is a huge increase from last year’s 54″ minimum for makos and is more than likely a fish of over 200 pounds.
Contrary to what you might think pre-tournament hype for this year’s Mako Mania is very high and the organizers have made a few changes to ensure a competitive event with good potential payouts for participants.
New this year there will be added entry levels of $100, $300 and $500 dollars for mako releases. This is an awesome idea and should result in great participation and terrific payouts. Here is a letter regarding the additions from tournament co-director Earl Conley.
2018 Mako Mania UPDATE!!!
Due to the addition of the $500, $300 and $100 RELEASE Calcuttas for Mako Sharks in the 2018 Mako Mania, the following rules have been issued:
· Call in Release to committee boat as usual
· A cell phone must be designated as the official team phone
· That cell phone must take pictures of each released Mako
-The picture must show the leader in hand and the shark boat side
· The phone with pictures must be brought to the scales, BEFORE scales close THE DAY OF FISHING (3:30 pm-7:30pm), along with the day’s Catch Report IN PERSON(NO EXCEPTIONS)
· The pictures will be reviewed by a Tournament official and then sent via text to tournament cell 443-497-0986 AFTER APPROVED ON SITE FOR THE FILE
· CHEATING OF ANY KIND WILL NOT BE TOLERATED
· All other Tournament Rules are in effect
The Bonus $1,000 Winner Take All Calcutta money will be returned in full (Minus a 3% Convenience Fee if paid by Credit Card) if no qualifying Mako is brought to the scale.
If no qualifying Mako is brought to the scale, the $500, $300 and $100 Calcutta money will be transferred to the Mako Release Divisions.
If you have any questions, please contact Earl Conley, Co-Tournament Director at 443-859-1689.
Thank you in advance,